Tuesday, June 19, 2007

why i miss home

...one of my homie's asked me why exactly i miss home so bad, cos i am always singin that Dec 2008 i am goin to be in Lagos, so i decided to write it out..

1) i miss waking up to my neighbors fighting in the morning..i live in agege, the next house is a face me i face you..there is always drama happening...lol
2) i miss gettin into the traffic jam on third mainland ,when i was working on the island
3) i miss all my escape attempts from armed robbers on the same bridge , when coming back home
4) i miss all the free lunch from my numerous toasters...poor guys , i only enjoyed the food
5) i miss how by 7pm nepa takes light, so i have to run and turn on our ever reliable generator.
6) i miss how i always looked forward to Tuesday prayer meeting at my church "fountain to life ilupeju..pastor bims i miss you gaan..http://www.tfolc.org/gsm/folchap.html
7) i miss how i missed landmark events in most of my family's life, i was the "fav aunty" b4 i came to this place.
8) i miss how on Friday i start gettin ready for a weddin ..yes i was a weddin owambe chic
9) i miss how i never get to eat food at the weddings and i always stop at tastee to eat cos am starving
10) i miss all the effort i take to pick the gift am goin to ha/give away at the weddin....
11) i miss how when i go shoppin at idumota..i bera hold my purse."well well"..hahaha
12) i miss dancing at owambe parties..and of course..the "sprayin", you shld see me komole, it is fantabulos, there is no comparison, i am the best komole dancer in my family.
13) i miss gettin up early to go to church, and meeting all the dramatic church people, at fountain
14) i miss ridin on an okada, fallin down on okada, being robbed from an okada...in short all okada related events!
15) i miss danfo drivers abusing and callin me "ashewo ta lo ra moto fun eh " becos i drive crazy..heck i grew up in agege, i gots to learn their driving skills.
16) i miss hanging out with my girls and gisting about old men and their old style lyrics to catch a girl...you cant imagine what i have heard..."orekelewa mo ma fi owo ba eje/you this girl i will use my money to finish you..lmao forgive my translation
17) i miss how we have so many public holidays back home and we actually do not have to go to work..e.g democarcy day, independence day, lagos island day,,whoever is in powers' birthday
18) i miss all the eatin out joints on Bankolemo, Lagos island, V.I, Anthony, GRA, secretariat, Ogba, ..i am tryin not to mention the names, cos most likely you would have met me there..lol
19) i miss goin to the cyber cafe, and seein all those sketchy characters doin you kno what?????.....
20) i miss how in Lagos life , you have to struggle for everything that comes to you.

21) best of all i miss my mummy, the one and only Mrs A, aka Mrs lecturer aka iya tsunami, aka Engr Mrs, or popularly known as Madamu..with heavy Yoruba accent..lol
22) i miss my one and only kid sister, aka ** mama, aka kerosene cos she never sleeps and is constantly talkin every single minute, who also can beat me up with little effort, she is bigger than me, and i keep testin her..lmao .. thats another story entirely.
23) i miss my Grand mum aka Alhaja Eko, her constant prayers, her constant scheming and matchmaking me up with her friends kids, and how she lies to her friends that i don't understand Yoruba, so that she can laugh at their attempt to speak English and fhone with me..hahha..hahahahaha..very naughty old woman!
24) I miss my uncle "the Prof" , who threatened to beat me "a big babe then" in front of moremi hall , Ife, cos i did not report my pocket money expenses..haha
25) my other uncle for his very very deep pocket and his hugely settling capabilites, when i was as usual "always broke"..hahaha.the 500 naira notes was always ready and cripsy
26) all my aunts and their numerous datin advice , from their back in the days uni life times..lol..heck aunty those things cant work now, this is 2008, no guy is gonna admire me for my ability to iron shirts..now!
..oky this is gettin too long , so am gonna continue another day i feel in the mood

p.s
over here i wont say am lonely, cos dat aint true,i have so many friends and family, but its not the same, am 26 today, i am used to the Lagos way of life,maybe if i was younger, i could get used to this , but you cant teach an old goat new tricks, this goat wants to go home...i dont feel at peace here.
and that is why, come Dec 2008 , i am packing my bags and goin to sit at the airport, Muritalah Mohammed Airport , you bera get ready toyintomato is coming home!!!.

8 comments:

Anu boy said...

Toyintomato... lol, i think there used to be a yoruba actress called that, i don't really remember...

why won't you miss 9ja, see your reasons, me that i am in 9ja, just reading ur reasons is making me to miss 9ja, nice blog you have here....

Confused Naija Girl said...

its good how you are turning the negatives ( being robbed) into positives.
Its weird I dont miss home at all.
ps thanks for your GIFT!! LOL

Eyin'ju Oluwa said...

Hehehe i miss home too, your grandma cracked me up, buhahahahaahahaha. Maybe we'll meet up at Murtala come 2008 sef, i should be going home for xmas too, cant wait. So you're doing a masters in Finance? How is that going? All the best for November 11th, it is well. Lmao@ ur housemate, 21 yr old ke? Men, Naija guys are too much, maybe he told her he was older, lmao, hehehehe.

Admin UD said...

Eeya, don't worry. All your misses will be transformed into something better soonest. Everybody aboad misses naija but once you go back and the realities of no electricity, no standards, robberies, etc hits home, you'll be wishing you never decided to go back in the first place.

Of course, perspectives differs.

Cheetarah said...

Awwh reading this made me miss home too,**sniff sniff** its all gud does,2008 round the corner for u1 Lovin this ur spot jare, very funny post,esp 'smack that'lol!

...toyintomato said...

@anu boy, yes toyintomato played the 2nd wife of fuji from fuji house of commotion..haha, loved that t.v show, and also sunny ade sang a song toyintomato, peperempe, sugar sugar..haha..love sunny too.
@ugo..dont worry, i am prepared for all the negatives of naija, the nepa, the strikes, the robbers,and even the frustration.
@confused naija girl, am happy you liked your birthday present..lol
@omosewa:am as excited as you are , 2008 xmas is goin be fun.
@cheetar..thx for stoppin by

laspapi said...

Great Ife!

I don't understand you missing armed robbers on the 3rd mainland bridge sha. I'm shell-shocked from the frequent occurences. The new governor seems to take security as a priority, though.

...toyintomato said...

@laspapi. very happy that the current gov is workin on that that, cuz seriosly 3rd mainland is like a death trap